Sunday, April 17, 2011

What's Up Dog (Larkin Street)

What's Up Dog on Larkin is a WUD with a BIG HEART!

For a limited time, for each HAPA DOG purchase, WUD on Larkin will donate $1 to Japan to help them rebuild from the devastation of the tsunami and earthquake.

So, what is a HAPA DOG?



I am assuming that Hapa Dog is probably the long-distance cousin of JapaDog in Vancouver. (I haven't had JapaDog.) http://www.japadog.com/

It was presented to me nicely cradled in red and white picnic wrapper. It was made with such care and looked very appetizing:

TOPPINGS:

The toppings for Hapa Dog are:
*Nori Shavings
*Furikake
*Wasabi Mayo
*Teriyaki Pineapple Glaze
*Caramelized Onions

I was a little nervous when I bought my Hapa Dog with veggie dog. I thought "if this does not taste good, at least it is for a good cause."

My Hapa Dog was really tasty! The combination of spicy kick from the wasabi mayo, sweetness from the teriyaki pineapple glaze, seaweed flavors from the nori and furikake and savory from caramelized onions were awesome! They complimented each other.

You can choose any dog you want and I bet the beef dog would taste really, really good with these toppings. I hate veggie dogs but I have no choice since I stopped eating meat.

MORE TOPPINGS PLEASE!:
Next time I'll ask if I can pay extra to get extra toppings since I want my Hapa Dog to be drowning in the yummy wasabi mayo, pineapple sauce and seaweed.

NORTHERN JAPAN RELIEF FUND DONATION:
As soon as I paid for my HapaDog, the owner thanked me for making a donation and handed me a "Relief, Recovery, Rebuild" button from the Northern Japan Relief Fund. I proudly wear this button with my work badge.


SERVICE WITH A HEART:
And this guy practices what he preaches when it comes to kindness. I have seen him treat the hardened population of the Tenderloin with much respect and patience. When my order took a few minutes longer since he caramelized the onions from scratch, he told me "Can you please do me a favor? Help yourself to chips or drinks while waiting." What a nice guy!

DECOR/MENU:
The What's Up Dog at Larkin is not as shiny as other WUD but it is clean. It has a couple of comfy red faux leather diner style booth to eat your meal. Other items on the menu aside from the different dog combos are non-dog sandwiches and Mitchells' Ice Cream.


This WUD has won my heart!

Tab: $5.43 for Hapa Dog.

FOODIE GIRL'S RATING: 4 Stars!

Key:
0 Star: Never again!!! These people should not be in business.
1 Star: Chalk it to bad experience. Live and learn.
2 Stars: Some are good. Some are okay. Some are bad.
3 Stars: Like! I will return!
4 Stars: Love! I will be dreaming of you at night!
5 Stars: Perfection (or close to!)

What's Up Dog on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...