Friday, April 8, 2011

Mission Pie

5A beautiful sunny and hot (and rare) Spring day in San Francisco made me crave refreshing Spring inspired lunch.


Mission Pie is THE PIE DESTINATION in the Mission. Easy enough to remember. However, Mission Pie's awesomeness is not just limited to their artisinal pies.

Today, I treated myself to a sumptous and tasty lunch of

a. PASTA WITH ARUGULA PESTO

b. STRAWBERRY GALLETTE

c. ICED TEA


This trio of savory and sweet, hot and cold food delivered a simple yet one of the deliciously satisfying lunches I have had in a while.

PASTA W/ ARUGULA PESTO: One bite of this cold salad woke up my palate. The simple combination of arugula, garlic , pamersan cheese and white beans produced very refreshing and bold flavors. I enjoyed and finished the whole bowl. $5

STRAWBERRY GALLETTE: This hot round pie was oozing with the flavors of strawberries. The crust was flakey and contrasted nicely the gooey berries. So simple but so good!

ICED TEA: I considered this nice fruity drink in an ice-cold sweaty glass on a hot Spring like today where I walked probably 10 blocks one of life's simple pleasures!

During my previous visits, I also had :

PERSIMMON GALLETTE WITH BLUE CHEESE AND WALNUT:. The sweetness of the persimmon satisfied my sweet tooth and the blue cheese was its perfect creamy-savory accompaniment. The filling was very tasty but the crust was overly crispy because the server left my pie too long in the oven when he reheated it. ($5.50)

COFFEE: I paired it up with one of their fair-trade coffees from Latin America. What a lovely meal!

DECOR:
Pies are made in the open kitchen and baked in big industrial oven that is visible in the dining room. The pie flavors are handwritten on the chalkboard wall.

Mission Pie is spacious, rustic and charming. The almost floor to ceiling wraparound windows make the place bright. You will get a nice view of the bustling Mission Street. A long communal table is also available but plenty of tables for solo or group. The cafe atmosphere is very inviting.


AMBIANCE:
Aside from the irritating group who was having their staff meeting at Mission Pie (I do not need to hear how you are trying to get your Federal funding! I am running away from work myself!), the place provides a nice reprieve from the 9-5 over a cup of coffee and delicious pie.

PRICE:
Sweet pies are pricey at $20 or more and savory pies are $26. Slices are more affordable at $5.50

A sign at the restaurant says: "Mission Pie is a corner café, bakery, and neighborhood gathering place."
For me, Mission Pie is my "Pie in the Sky" in the Mission.

CASH ONLY.

FOODIE GIRL'S RATING: 4 Stars!


Key:
0 Star: Never again!!! These people should not be in business.
1 Star: Chalk it to bad experience. Live and learn.
2 Stars: Some are good. Some are okay. Some are bad.
3 Stars: Like! I will return!
4 Stars: Love! I will be dreaming of you at night!
5 Stars: Perfection (or close to!)

Mission Pie on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...