Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dynamo Donuts



Dynamo Donuts is another testament that San Francisco rules the foodie world. Some people might want to kill the messenger and throw their Loubotins (size 6 please!) at her but you have to agree, this City by the Bay is pretty much up there in the inventive culinary pyramid.

I was jonesing for donuts. Not just any donuts but Dynamo Donuts.  I have tried Dynamo Donuts in the past when they literally landed on my lap while attending an event catered by Dynamo Donuts.  That was almost 2 years ago.

A couple of years later and I  was finally able to visit the kiosk.  It is a charming little kiosk serving coffee, tea and the notorious Maple Apple Bacon Donut in the Mission. 

I had to go for the Maple Apple Bacon Donut again plus Caramel de Sel and Chocolate Rose. 

Maple Apple Donut, Chocolate Rose and Caramel de Sel
I thought that the Maple Apple Bacon Donut will "take the donut." Believe me, it was great! The crispy bacon bits were generously scattered on top of the maple apple glaze. (I really did not taste the apple. The apple flavor was very, very subtle.) This literally melted in my mouth at 4 o' clock in the afternoon!!!

But what made me " almost burst into tears" (figure of speech) was the Caramel de Sel. It was the least appetizing looking donut since the glaze stuck to the bag. I thought, "Great, now I am left with a donut with no glaze." And I was so wrong. One bite of this sweet savory, another melt in your mouth donut with bits of sea salt grains was just---gratifying, for lack of a better word. Maybe even intoxicating?

The Chocolate Rose also beat the Maple Apple Bacon Donut by a hairline in my opinion. This cakey donut was loaded with chocolate flavor with the nicest hint of rose. Divine!

In my opinion, what sets Dynamo Donuts apart from others aside from the melt in your mouth fluffy donuts even when they were not freshly out of the fryer, is the donut chef's ability to marry the flavors without overwhelming each ingredient. It is about complimenting, magnifying yet balancing the exotic flavors of each donut. And the above are just some of the exotic flavors. There are lot to spend your calories on:  http://www.dynamodonut.com/

Dynamo Donuts are not your mother's donuts. Maybe you should take her to Dynamo one of these days. Dynamo was brave enough to reinvent the donut and succeeded!



The verdict?  Not only I finished the Maple Apple Bacon and the Caramel de Sel, and ate half of the Chocolate Rose, I have also broken my 6 month seafoodtarian diet. Was it worth it? Heck, yeah! (But then do bacon bits count?!)

Donuts are $2-3 each.

Foodie Girl's Rating: 5 Stars
Good thing that I do not work or live close to the Mission, otherwise, Dynamo Donuts would have been a delicious diet disaster!


Key:
0 Star: Never again!!! These people should not be in business.
1 Star: Chalk it to bad experience. Live and learn.
2 Stars: Some are good. Some are okay. Some are bad.
3 Stars: Like! I will return!
4 Stars: Love! I will be dreaming of you at night!
5 Stars: Perfection (or close to!)

Dynamo Donuts & Coffee on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...