Chilled Drake's Bay oyster on the half shell served with our Lemon-Honey-Jalapeno Mignonette, OR
Rocker Oysterfeller: Wilted arugula, cream cheese, crispy bacon and cornbread crumbs with a hint of Pernod liquor and garlic butter, OR
BBQ, Louisiana Hots, Garlic Butter on Tomales Bay oysters.
Are you not not convinced yet?
I found out about Oyster Rockefeller's Kitchen and Saloon's while browsing a copy of 7x7 magazine. And the food writer had me at BBQ oysters.
So Enrique and I packed our overnight bags and headed to Valley Ford despite the forecast of heavy rain. Valley Ford is located in Sonoma county. And the Rocker Oysterfeller is nestled among the green pastures and rolling hills off of Highway 1. This is truly backroads dining at its finest.
And it couldn't get any better than this: the promise of a wonderful weekend was sweetened by the fact that Oyster Rockefeller is housed at Valley Ford Hotel where we also decided to stay.
EAT + DRINK + SLEEP= Perfect weekend getaway!
Oyster Rockefeller is a casual dining restaurant that is full of country charm. It is located among rolling hills, ranches, grazing cows. It is the perfect setting for a bucolic and quiet mini-getaway. The crowd consisted of couples trying to have a romantic dinner (including us) despite familes who had kids who kept on staring and pointing at our crab! And mixed age group of 20 something friends to more mature ones. The decor is shabby-chic country with cozy wooden provincial furniture.
Service was very friendly. It is being run by a husband and wife team. The wife is the bartender, server and hotel manager. The husband is the chef.
Since we didn't have to drive after dinner, Enrique and I had a glorious evening with Oyster Rockefeller's strong but yummy cocktails:
1. Strong MOJITO for my him.
2. BLOODY MARY for me: Generously served in a mason jar with a olives and celery stick. Strong and good.
BISCUITS: Complimentary, fluffy and delicious!
We were here for the oysters and we chose:
1. Six CHILLED DRAKE BAY'S OYSTERS ON HALF-SHELL with Lemon-Honey-Jalapeno Mignonette ($12)
Six LOUISIANA HOTS BBQ TOMALES BAY OYSTERS ($14)
1. Both were delicious! The fresh and BBQ oysters were a great combination. The fresh oysters were plump, sweet and fresh. The BBQ oysters tasted like eating BBQ chicken wings except they were oysters.
We wanted to eat more oysters but we wanted room for the main entrees. Although Rocker Oysterfeller boasts of the creative ways they can dress they oysters, the main dishes were not overlooked. They were fresh and full of flavors. The ingredients are locally-grown and harvested, thus, the Southern-inspired dishes tasted fresh and lighter than their authentic Southern counterparts.
1. FLASH FRIED DUNGENESS CRAB with Cajun seasoning, potatoes and toast ($29): Since it is the beginning of the crab season, my guy chose this. He got down and dirty and enjoyed this sweet and meaty crab. He gave me a quarter of the crab and it was spicy delish!
2. GULF SHRIMP PO-BOY with Applewood Smoked Bacon, White Cheddar and Fries ($18): This po-boy is so ginormous and oozing with countless plump tender prawns in hot melted cheese (and bacon that I took out.)! I could not finish it and longingly looked at my wasted delicious leftover. This sandwich might be a misnomer because it is pricey but it is so worth it!
We really enjoyed our dinner at Oyster Rockefeller along with the well-mixed drinks, cozy dining room and warm service.
TAB: $110 including tax and 22 % tip. Worth every dollar!
AT THE BAR:
Our dinner did not end here. We were too full to go back to our room upstairs (along with the fact that the room had no TV and weak wi-fi connection.) Enrique and I decided to hangout at the cozy bar for a night cap. It was pouring outside and I was feeling cold that I decided to have a HOT TODDY. It was sweet with cinnamon and cloves. Well-made and warmed up my freezing bones. Enrique had another mojito. We chatted with the owner, watched football and went people-watching.
The evening was perfect. And the best part, we just climbed a flight of stairs and slept like babies while it was storming. It couldn't have been more perfect!
For details on Valley Ford Hotel: http://www.vfordhotel.com/
FOODIE GIRL'S RATING: 5 Stars all the way through!
0 Star: Never again!!! These people should not be in business.
1 Star: Chalk it to bad experience. Live and learn.
2 Stars: Very disappointing but there it has some good things to offer.
3 Stars: It is okay but do not expect much. I will still return.
4 Stars: I like it! I will be singing your praises!
5 Stars: I will be dreaming of you at night!
6 Stars: Perfection (or close to!)